Skip to content

Just plug in and switch on!

The smartest, simplest and easiest way to help reduce your power bill!

Savings Guide

Reduce fire risk in your home

Eliminate standby power to reduce your fire risk

Experiencing a fire in your home can be devastating and traumatic. Not only can you quickly lose your many possessions or even your house, but you could easily lose the lives of those you love. Sadly, most home fires can be prevented if the homeowner had only known how to properly reduce fire risks. Don’t wait for tragedy to strike your family. Take steps now to reduce the risk of fire in your home. Here are some important tips to help you get started.

Stop Relying on Extension Cords

Extension cords are found in the majority of homes, but they can be extremely dangerous when used in place of appropriate permanent wiring. Sometimes homeowners who live in older homes do not want to incur the time or expense to have new wiring installed. They try to make the existing outlets work by using small extension cords stretched across the floor or baseboards.

Even energy saving extension cords can be dangerous when you use them all the time. If you plug multiple devices into a small extension cord and leave them on permanently, this can create a fire hazard. It only takes a tiny transformer malfunctioning to create a dangerous fire with extension cords.

Don’t Leave Space Heaters Unattended

During the cold winter months, homeowners often rely on space heaters to stay warm. Portable space heaters seem like the ultimate convenience, but they can also be extremely dangerous. If you place the heater too close to anything combustible, it can quickly result in a tragic fire.

Homeowners often forget to turn off space heaters at night. Perhaps they plug them in near the bed to help knock the chill out of the air, but then doze off before they turn the heater off. During the night, the space heater could easily turn into a raging blaze that destroys a house and even results in death. When using space heaters, connect them to a standby power switch that is easy to access. By using an EcoSwitch, you can warm up with the mobile heater and later turn it off at the wall before you go to sleep or leave the room.

Turn Off Kitchen Appliances When Not in Use

Unattended kitchen appliances are one of the leading causes of house fires. It’s easy to forget to turn off the oven or switch off a burner when you finish preparing a meal. While this is an innocent mistake, it can quickly turn into a tragedy if a house fire erupts. Always double check that kitchen appliances are turned off when they are not in use. If possible, unplug the appliances to reduce standby power that could also be a potential fire hazard.

Shut Off Gas Fireplaces When You Leave the Room

Gas fireplaces offer a practical heating source and they are also a beautiful addition to any home. While many homeowners decide to install gas fireplaces, few take the time to consider the fire risk involved. Always turn off a gas fireplace when it isn’t in use. Even if you are leaving the room for a few short minutes, take the time to switch the fireplace off. You can never be too safe when you are dealing with gas in the home.

Eliminate Standby Power

If you take a quick inventory of all the electrical items in your home, how many of them rely on standby power when they are not in use? Unless you are very vigilant about energy savings, you probably don’t unplug all of your appliances when they aren’t in use. Even if you try to unplug some of them, it’s not easy to get behind the TV or the oven and unplug them on a regular basis.

Invest in an EcoSwitch to eliminate standby power in your home. By connecting your home’s appliances to a simple remote switch, you can easily power off electronics that are not in use. When you reduce standby power, you not only get great energy savings, but you also have peace of mind that you are preventing a potential fire hazard in your home.

Preventing house fires takes a little forethought and planning, but if you are proactive you can easily stop a tragedy. Don’t live in fear of a tragic house fire. Start taking steps to fireproof your home today.